Αμυμωνη

One of the fifty daughters of King Danaus. Her mother was Europa. When Danaus left Libya with his children, Amymone went with him and together they settled in Argos. But the country had no water owing to the wrath of Poseidon who was angry that it had been allotted to Hera when he wanted it himself. After Danaus had become king he sent his daughters in search of water and Amymone went with them. Tired out by walking, she went to sleep at the wayside; a Satyr came upon her and tried forcibly to ravish her. The girl called on Poseidon who immediately appeared and with one blow from his trident drove the Satyr away. Amymone then granted Poseidon what she had refused the Satyr. But the trident had struck the rock and a stream with three springs gushed from it.

Another version of the story is that after Poseidon, who was in love with Amymone, had come to her rescue he showed her the existence of the spring of Lerna.

Amymone had a son by Poseidon, the hero Nauplius.

{E2 DICTIONARY OF CLASSICAL MYTHOLOGY}

Table of Sources:
- Apollod. Bibl. 2, 1, 4ff.
- Ovid, Am. 1, 13
- Paus. 2, 15, 4
- Hyg. Fab. 169
- Aeschylus, Amymone (lost satyr-play, Nauck TGF, edn 2, pp. 6f)
- schol. on Hom. Il. 4, 171