If you weren't real I would make you up.

Film: Ruby Sparks, released 2012.
Directed by: Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris
Starring: Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan

Screenplay by Zoe Kazan (Note: This is not a small detail, she wrote this story about a male writer)

This is the film about a writer who wakes one morning to find that a creation (a character in a rough draft) has come to life and is living in his home. At the same time, and more importantly, this is a film about several other things.

First, and obviously, it is a fable (fairy tale?) about Writing and the old proverb about being careful what you wish for. Do we really want a one dimensional character wandering around our lives; fixing us dinner, leaving their shoes in our living room?

It is also a story about writing as a business, writers as a commodity and mental illness as both a detriment to art and also probably a logical extension of the artistic process.

It is finally and mostly, a film about the real world and real people. Most of the characters in the film are three dimensional people who are chock full of the contradictions that make us love/hate other people. They are attractive and awful; sensitive and cruel. It is about relationships. How people meet, how relationships evolve and how we try (with and without success) to make relationships last.

The two main characters are quite believable, which is no small feat, considering the subject matter. Various supporting actors are somewhat less interesting, although the main character's brother is extremely good as a designated Normal person.

Highly recommended.



Primary Source: imdb.