RID's stated goal is to promote the profession of interpreting and transliterating American Sign Language and English.

Incorporated in 1972, RID works to recruit new sign language interpreters, ensure quality service through continued testing, and provide certified interpreters who follow a standard code of ethics. To become certified, individuals complete appropriate training - this typically includes a special interpreter training program following regular ASL classes - and take both a written exam and a performance test. There are five possible certifications available: Certificate of Interpretation, Certificate of Transliteration, Certified Deaf Interpreter, Oral Transliteration Certification, and Specialist Certificate: Legal.

RID also requires continued skill development for all certified interpreters. Approved sponsors can provide continuing education units for a wide variety of activities, including workshops, conferences, and research. CEUs may also be earned through independent study. Eight CEUs are required annually, six of which must be professionally related to interpreting - linguistics and cultural activities count here - and two must be for general studies such as human service and leadership.

In addition to the newsletter and other publications printed by RID Press, RID publishes a set of Standard Practice Papers. These include specialized topics such as interpreting in a medical setting, mental health interpreting, working in the legal field, interpreting in a religious setting. Other Standard Practice Papers are released on practical subjects such as team interpreting, billing considerations, coordinating interpreters for conferences, and mentoring.

There are also several Special Interest Groups within RID, including SIGs for hearing interpreters who have deaf parents, interpreters and transliterators of color, interpreters for the deaf-blind, lesbian and gay interpreters and transliterators, and other groups.

RID's Ethical Practices System ensures quality interpreting service and provides a venue for complaints from clients. Because effective communication is required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, the EPS committee establishes and maintains the RID's Code of Ethics and provides a forum for mediation and determines when a violation of the Code has occurred.

Official website: http://www.rid.org/