Having sunk multiple times before reaching her final resting place off the island of Grenada, the ship known as the Bianca C. is among the unluckier seafaring vessels.

Built during World War II at Construction Navales La Ciotat, a shipyard on the southern coast of France, the boat was first launched in June 1944 under the name Marechal Petain. Construction had not yet been completed, so the ship was towed to Port Bouc, where she was torpedoed by the Germans in August. When the hull was raised, it was renamed La Marseillaise and towed to Toulon before being returned to La Ciotat to be refitted as a cruise ship. When the remodeling was completed in July 1949, she sailed to Yokohama. In 1957, the ship was given the name Arosa Sky after being sold to Panama's Arosa Line. She was refitted again and became the company's flagship, but within two years Arosa Line was forced to sell the boat to Costa du Genoa, an Italian company also known as Linea C. After that 1959 sale, the boat was renamed the Bianca C. for one of the owner's daughters, and was refurbished once again. The Bianca C.'s main route ran from Italy to Venezuela, including stops in the Caribbean.

On October 22, 1961, the Bianca C. was ten days out of Naples and docked off Grenada when an explosion occurred in the engine room in the early hours of the morning. One crewman died immediately, and eight others were injured; second engineer Rodizza Natale later died of his injuries. As fires broke out, approximately 700 passengers and crew scrambled to abandon the ship while Grenadian fishermen and boat owners - awakened by the noise of the explosion - near the harbor of St. George's rushed to help. Survivors were taken to the capital, where makeshift hospitals were hastily established to provide shelter and food. By dawn, the fires were out of control, to the dismay of captain Francisco Gravato, who circled the burning hulk in a powerboat. Because Grenada did not have the equipment to quench such a large fire, a call for help was sent and was received by the British frigate H.M.S. Londonderry at Puerto Rico. It took two days for the Londonderry to arrive, and by that time the Bianca C. had begun to sink. The burning ship was in the main anchorage and would block the harbor if it sank there, so a Londonderry boarding party boarded the flaming boat to attach a towline. The anchor lines of the Bianca C. were burned, and today the anchors are still at the mouth of the St. George's harbor. Meanwhile, the Londonderry moved to tow the Bianca C., but the latter ship was listing to port. Thousands of Grenadians watched from the mountains as the tow progressed for six hours, but the Bianca C. had only moved three miles when a squall started and the towline broke. The Bianca C. sank quickly into 165 feet of water, about a mile from the popular tourist beach at Grand Anse.

In the 1970s, a Trinidadian firm salvaged the Bianca C.'s propellers and sold them for scrap. As the top of the ship is in only about 100 feet of water, scuba divers can reach it and in the late 1980s and early 1990s some removed parts of the boat for souvenirs. In late 1992, the rear third of the ship was torn off and the ship began to deteriorate quickly, though at 600 feet in length it is still the region's largest shipwreck. A bronze statue of Christ of the Deep was given by the Costa Line to Grenada in appreciation of the country's hospitality, and the statue stands in the Carenage surrounding the harbor at St. George's.

Exhibit at the Grenada National Museum, St. George's, Grenada