The command posts are perplexed over Pinochet's decision to add a new item to a proclamation that had already been drafted in advance. Pinochet, who was the last to join the conspiracy to overthrow Allende's democratically elected government, was widely distrusted amongst the officers who were plotting the coup, and his continual attempts to move in on the territory of the other commanders in chief are met with passive-aggression. Thus, General Leigh, of the Air Force, the most senior member of the conspiracy cannot help but give his "approval" to the addition, for which Pinochet had only nominally sought approval. Meanwhile, Pinochet and Vice-Admiral Carvajal of the Navy discuss the situation in the presidential palace of La Moneda and the preparations for the bombing of the palace, set to take place at 11:00 a.m..


Post Three (Military Academy): Post One, do you copy me?

Post One (Army): Post Three, Post One here. Tell me if you copy...

Post Three: Do I copy? I"m sending you the message I was ordered to send by General Leigh. Let me know if it's right. Need to issue proclamation Commanders in Chief, Junta of Commanders in Chief...Junta of Commanders in Chief and Director of National Police. Give me your roger....

Post One: General Pinochet is in agreement. The proclamation has to be...state that it is signed by the three Commanders in Chief of the Armed Forces, plus the Director-General of the National Police. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great. It's just that we've got a problem here. General Leigh says for General Pinochet to do this, and he is giving me the references for the items that I am going to list for you in a minute. Give me your roger...

Post One: Tell him that with... that General Pinochet says he agrees...Also, tell General Leigh from General Pinochet that he is in agreement with the items you mentioned, but that we should add — to round it out, as item seven — that we are fighting against the queues, the hunger, the misery, the divisiveness, the...and the foreigners who were murdering our people. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great. OK, Post Two, Post Three here...Post Two, this is Post Three.

Post Two (Air Force): Post Three, Post Three, Post Two here. Go ahead.

Post Three: Is General Leigh there?

Post Two: Affirmative.

Post Three: Look, if you can locate him, tell him that General Pinochet received and agrees with the message, the second message you transmitted to me. But we've got to add, we've got to add an item seven...that we're fighting...that this military movement is fighting against the queues, the famine, the misery, the divisiveness...(assistant dictates in the background)...and foreigners who are intervening here on our territory. Give me your roger.

Post Two: Very well. Please clarify whether this is a suggestion or, uh...or did General Pinochet decide that this must be added. Over.

Post Three: Just a sec. Let's see, Post One, Post Three here...Post One.

Post One: Post Three, go ahead.

Post Three: This...is it a suggestion from General Pinochet, or does that definitely have to be added? Give me your roger.

Post One: Well, basically his idea is to add it to the proclamation that is being drafted. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great. Let's see, Post Two. Uh...the general says that it is an idea that it should be added to the proclamation that is going to be made. Give me your roger. Over, Post Two.

Post Two: Very well. So he insists that it is a suggestion, then. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great. QSL. Post One? Post One, Post three here.

Post Three: Post One, Post Three here. (Assistant: "Post Five calling"). Post Five, Post Three. Post Five, Post Three here.

Post Five (Defence Ministry): Attention, Post Five to Post Three. Go ahead, over.

Post Three: There's a [in English] broadcasting next to Radio Agricultura...(Assistant in background: "look, a bit farther up")...pirate...a little farther up, broadcasting proclamations to the people from the Unidad Popular. Give me your roger.

Post Five: Post Five to Post Three. Repeat.

Post Three: There is a pirate radio station, a pirate radio station, a little farther up from Radio Agricultura, telling the population from the Unidad Popular to defend the government and to go out into the streets. Give me your roger...

Post Five: Very well, understood.

Post Three: So, uh, tune it in...

Post Two: Three, this is Two...Three, Three, this is Two.

Post Three: Go ahead, Two, Three here.

Post Two: Very well, Gustavo gives his full approval to item seven General Pinochet proclamation. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great...OK, Post One, Post Three here. (Arguing in background: "No, dumbass, try and give them to me in the key")

Post Three: Post One, Post Three here.

Post One: Post One here, over.

Post Three: Tell General Pinochet, tell General Pinochet that General Leigh approved his idea and is going to add it to the proclamation. Give me your roger.

Post One: Very well, very well.

Post Three: Three here...Post Two, Post Three here.

Post Two: Very well, Post Three, Two here.

Post Three: Agreed, received and agreed, Post One. And they will communicate it immediately to General Pinochet. Give me your roger.

Post Two: Very well, Three. From Gustavo, inform Augusto that at ten to eleven he wants to speak with him. Over.

Post Three: Yeah, great. At ten to eleven General Leigh wants to speak with General Pinochet. Give me your roger...Post Two, give me your roger.

Post Two: Roger from Two!

Post Three: Yeah, great. Go ahead...Let's see, Post One, Post Three here...Post One, Post Three calling...Post One, Post Three calling...Post One, Post Three calling...

Post One: Go ahead.

General Pinochet: Patricio, Augusto here, go ahead, over...Patricio, Patricio, the following: look, hasn't this guy reacted at all with everything we've done to him?

Vice-Admiral Patricio Carvajal: No, no, he hasn't reacted so far. I just spoke with the Naval Aide-de-camp, who just came from there. He says that La Moneda is defended by fifty guys from the GAP [Grupo Amigos Personales Salvador Allende's personal bodyguards]. The approximately forty or fifty police officers are withdrawing. General Mendoza tells me that he is trying to get them to withdraw before they continue the bombardment. The Naval Aide-de-Camp told me that the President is walking around with a machine gun, that he had thirty shots, and that he was going to fire the last one into his own head. That was his state of mind up until a few minutes ago.

Pinochet: That's a load of bullshit...that jackoff wouldn't even shoot a starter pistol.

Carvajal: Very well, hehehe! General Mendoza is in contact with us and he's in contact with General Brady. So everything's well coordinated over there.

Pinochet: Very well. At ten to eleven, I'm going to give the order to start bombing. So, at that time, the units have to pull back more or less two blocks from La Moneda. Immediately after they pull back, we'll initiate...at exactly eleven o'clock, the bombing is going to start. So, they've got to practically put themselves in foxholes or wherever because the flyboys could screw up and hit our troops.

Carvajal: Exactly. I think we should tell General Leigh, then, that, in no case should he start bombing without waiting to see what the situation is here.

Pinochet: He's got to...our troops need to put a white cloth on top to show our front line. I repeat. Our guys need to be reminded that, in order to show their front line, they need to put a white handkerchief on their backs so that the aviators see it. That's something that they need to remember.

Carvajal: Very well. I'll communicate that to General Brady.

PreviousNext