Farscape began life as a proof-of-concept project for Brian Henson and Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Wanting to be known for creating more than just puppets, Brian Henson wished to create a "ship show", something to highlight his company's expertise in animatronics, CGI, and creature effects. Brian worked with story creator Rockne S. O'Bannon to develop a universe that was rich in texture and utilize the Creature Shop to breath life into these alien cultures.

Originally titled "Space Chase", Brian and Rockne created the series with writer David Kemper for the Fox Network in 1993. However, the network later refused the show before it could go into production in favor of a different sci-fi series called Space: Above and Beyond.

It would then take this team five years to find a home for Farscape. The Sci-Fi Network had read the pilot script, and after listening to the group's pitch, gave them the greenlight for 22 episodes.

Farscape's pilot episode aired for the first time March, 19, 1999. The Sci-Fi Network had no idea that it would be the show to put them on the map.

This show has met with rave critical acclaim and several awards. Currently having received three Saturn Awards for Best Science-Fiction Series and Best Actor Ben Browder consecutively, an Emmy for soundtrack and an Emmy nomination for costume-design.

Certainly with the re-acquistion of Jim Henson's Creature Shop from german parent company EMtv, Farscape is far from deceased.