Also known as amateur astronomy. It is one of the most pleasurable, inconvenient and introspective hobbies one can find.

All one needs is to go outside and look up on a clear night. The darker the sky the better. A telescope is not need, just a good starchart and your eyes. A good pair of binoculars would add a lot to the viewing.

Go outside, lie down one a lawn chair, and take in the beauty and the serenity. A lawn chair comes in useful when holding the binoculars. A blanket would be a good idea as well. If you have a starchart, use a flashlight with a red filter over it to reduce the brightness. You will need to wait about 10 minutes for your eyes to completely adjust to the night. The red light has the least impact on night vision.

The inconvenience comes from mostly streetlights, it being evening hours, and the colder night air. Not to mention fumbling in the darkness. And some car driving by and blinding you with headlights.

But once past the inconvenience, and while absorbing the universe that's been sitting right on top of your back yard all those years, a certain perpective about humanity starts to sink in. Of how small our world actually is. Of what could be out there. There has to be something out there. So much space and only us? So many stars and galaxies and systems and just you and your neighbor? Can't be, can it?

There it is, the rest of the universe. And all you have to do is to just look up.