Su E Pian (or Su Wo Pien) is an illustrated, four volume work of Chinese erotica. It dates back to 1640 from the Ming Dynasty.

Su E Pian is the story of Master Wu Shan Si, an historical figure of the Tang Dynasty, and his beautiful concubine, Su E (Lady of the Moon). The couple engaged in sex using positions inspired by various natural settings. Su E gives each a poetic. For example: Flowers Longing for Butterflies The positions are illustrated with wood engravings and accompanied by verse following the style of traditional Chinese poem writing. The work reflects Taoism's emphasis on returning to nature and on the harmony that should exist between nature and humankind.

The authorship of the book is attributed to the Immortal Square Pot. "Pot," in Chinese Taoist terms, symbolizes a mixture of Ying and Yang, or a small universe, and was a favorite symbol of the Taoists. The engraver, Huang Yi Kai, was well-known for his artistic accomplishments. His style of woodcutting was minute and exquisite.

The most complete copy of Su E Pian known to exist, is currently found at the Kinsey Institute, donated in 1948.

The body of work is composed of 10,000 Chinese characters, 90 illustrations, and 43 chapters. It is written on white cotton paper and white fringe. The frame is 20.8 cm in height and 14.1 cm in width.


Reference: The source of this w/u came from the Kinsey Institute's own web pages about the work.
http://www.indiana.edu/~kinsey/suepian.html