Brahms' Midnight Train

A TRAGEDY IN ONE ACT IN ONE MINUTE

Based on A True Story

BACKSTORY

Sixty year-old life-long bachelor Johannes Brahms was Hamburg born, but for most of his life had his residence in Vienna. He had a intensly musical and platonically intimate relationship with Robert Schumann's widow, Clara, for 40 years. It was stormy many times in both regards. In 1896 it ended with her death from a stroke. He also lost best friends Theodore Billroth, Hans von Bulow, and Agathe Grimm ne Siebold in the last two years. Brahms' health, following the subsequent events, involving 40 hours of travel, would fatally fail in a year.

CAST:

  • JOHANNES BRAHMS, the portly fully bearded reknown composer.
  • OFFSTAGE VOICES
  • CONDUCTOR 1
  • CONDUCTOR 2
  • CONDUCTOR 3
  • CONDUCTOR 4
  • STATION CLERK 1
  • STATION CLERK 2

Stage Directions:

There should be at least two chairs, preferably two pairs or more, in two sections of center stage which will be dark until one of the sections is lighted as needed. One section is seating on a train, the other seating is in the train station.

At RISE:

Spots brighten gradually on one chair (or preferably one group of chairs) stage right. A rotund bearded man (Brahms) walks out of the darkness from stage right, while another man (the conductor) enters the lighted area from stage left.


SCENE 1

CONDUCTOR

Ah, Herr Doktor, here is your seat, are you well?

BRAHMS

Nein! I barely made this train in an hour to take me to Frankfurt. I must go to my lifelong friend Clara Schumann's funeral, of which I only found about in a telegram delayed two days. Of course this necessitates my connecting in Attneng, and since I'm exhausted I'll need you to wake me for that.

CONDUCTOR 1

Ya! Guten nacht. (Clerk exits stage left.)

OFF STAGE VOICES

{Excerpts of Brahm's Lullaby--Cradle Song is heard while the lights fade to black.)

Close your eyes
Now and rest
May these hours
Be blessed


SCENE 2

(Suddenly the spots come back on, revealing a sleeping Brahms who sits up awake.)

BRAHMS

Ach! I'm heading the wrong way! I've slept through my connection.

CONDUCTOR 2

This stop Linz!

(The lights fade from the train section, and fade in on the other station setting, with Station Clerk present as Brahms moves to it at stage left.)

BRAHMS

I must catch the next train to Frankfort!

STATION CLERK 1

The train to Frankfurt does not leave until morning. (Exits stage left.)

(Brahms takes a seat, and bends his head down to his knees.)

OFFSTAGE VOICES

{Excerpts of Brahm's German Requium is heard while the lights fade to black.)

Blessed are they that mourn,
for they shall be comforted.


SCENE 3

CONDUCTOR 3

(Conductor moves into stage right to where the next train will be leaving.)

All aboard for Frankfurt!

(Again, as the spots come suddenly back on, --both sections-- revealing a sleeping Brahms who sits up awake. He moves to stage right where the lights fade from the station setting and remain on him on the train. He then wearily takes a seat, nodding his head down.)

OFFSTAGE VOICES

{Excerpts of Brahm's Four Serious Songs is heard while the lights fade to black.)

Therefore I saw, that there is nothing better,
than that man should be happy in his work;
for that is his lot.

For who shall bring him to that place
where he may see what shall come after him?


SCENE 4

CONDUCTOR 4

Frankfurt Station!

(Again, as the spots come suddenly back on, revealing again a sleeping Brahms who sits up awake. He moves to stage left where the lights fade from the train setting and remain on him into the station. The station clerk moves into the section --and the light-- from stage left.)

BRAHMS

Mein Gott, man. (Then he mutters aside): --Though I've believed in none but myself. And, Hell is truly real here. (Then outloud): Quick! Call me a coach to get to Frau Clara's funeral.

STATION CLERK 2

Ach der lieber, Herr Doktor, it is in Bonn! You can catch that train, but you will have to travel all day. You will probably be a bit late and raggedy, no?

(Brahms moves stage right, where the lights fade in takes a seat, and kicks back exasperated. Lights fade to black.)

BRAHMS

My lieders, my requiems, my robust health, now horrible prophecies. Billroth, Bulow, Agathe, and now Clara gone. Where is He who would comfort as a Mother?

CURTAIN


For Gone in Sixty Seconds 2005 - A Theatre Quest

Note: To get this under a minute, much simultaneous lighting and offstage voices must be done. There should be crisp, fast delivery of the lines as well. Kind of surrealistically moving like a dream that takes a minute to compress hours of time.