A writer of philisophical, strongly optimistic books, with great titles. Such as:
  • All I Really Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts On Common Things,
  • It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It,
  • Maybe (Maybe Not): Second Thoughts From A Secret Life,
  • Uh-Oh: Some Observations From Both Sides Of The Refridgerator Door,
  • From Beginning To End: The Rituals Of Our Lives,

and two compilations -
  • Love Stories, and
  • Words I Wish I Wrote.

Fulghum's writings are mostly anecdotal, drawing on his past experience of being a former minister, former school teacher, former IBM salesman, and grandparent (among many other things). Oddly, at the Harold Washing Library in Chicago, you can find his books in the self-help section -- next to Ann Landers. Fulghum is open minded and always growing, as is expressed in his books and evidenced by a chronological reading of his works. His son also wrote a book titled Like Father, Like Son, which from the part of the book I have read appears not to apply to writing ability.

Kindergarten... was originally written as a short essay later in his life to refute his college-age pledge of allegiance to heavy thinkers and over-complicated philosopies. It quickly spread through word of mouth and news-paper clippings of the essay began to appear on refridgerator doors everywhere.

His books are seemingly targeted towards slightly below/middle-age adults. However, I have fond memories of Ken The Chen and I taking turns reading aloud the copies of his books we found in a used bookstore to each other -- in the Dunkin' Donuts after school (in the 8th grade). I was 12 then, but his books were more to me then than they ever can be at any future time in my life.
Perhaps because it was the first time?