Most of the write-ups about John Winston Howard seem to have an eery critical air about them. For Americans who read about John Howard they perhaps won't quite understand what we are all on about. I'll do my best.

The first thing to remember about John Howard is that he is a remarkably lucky man. He is hated passionately by almost everyone in the country. His policies seem to have been resurrected from some 1950's filing cabinet and his charisma, well, I think a stoned toad that has been run over by a truck several times may be more endearing... But, all this aside, he has won two federal elections. The second of which he won proposing a most unpopular tax reform package that included the GST. I noticed that other noders failed to point out that this stands for 'Goods and Services Tax'. It is a tax that is broad, constant and unforgiving... but that's another story.

John Howard may well lose the Federal Election that is expected toward the end of 2001, but he has taught Australian political observers many things. The least of which includes the way future Prime Ministers may be picked from a crowd.

No longer can we say: 'Oh! That man has intelligence, charisma, a way of dealing with people, understanding them, responding to their needs... he'll be Prime Minister one day.'

Now we must point out the weediest, most nerdy, combed-over dwarf with the biggest eyebrows, and while proudly placing a hand on our heart, recite: 'Oh! That fellow is just like John Howard, no doubt he will be Prime Minister one day.'

And, you know, the sad thing is we mean it... but the saddest thing is that it will probably come true...