Where the Sidewalk Ends, published in 1974, was Shel Silverstein's first published book of poetry. Shel Silverstein would later publish two more books of poetry, Light in the Attic in 1981 and Falling Up in 1996.

Although this was Shel's first published book, many of the poems included in Where the Sidewalk Ends had already appeared in other places between 1961 and 1974 -- seventeen of the one hundred and twenty-seven poems included had been published previously, sixteen of which were published in one of several collections edited by William Cole. The only previously-published poem not found in a William Cole book was Helping, published in Free To Be... You and Me by the Ms. Foundation for Women. Seven of Shel's poems had also been published in lyric form.

Where the Sidewalk Ends the album was released in 1983 and won the 1984 Grammy Award for Best Recording For Children. The original version of this album featured Shel Silverstein reciting, singing and shouting thirty six of his poems. The 25th anniversary edition includes eleven previously-unreleased recordings, new liner notes and drawings.

Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein

Poems included on the original album are marked with an asterisk, '*', and those included only on the anniversary edition of them album are marked with a plus sign, '+'.