Hurricane is also a very enjoyable two player card game.

Now explaining a card game using only text is a little clumsy but please bear with me.

How to play.

First you take a 52 card deck with no jokers and take out all 8s, 9s and 10s leaving you with the 40 cards used in the game.

The dealer deals 3 cards to his partner face down, places 4 cards face up in the middle of the table, then the cards are dealt face down in groups of three to alternating players till both have six cards. Then the game begins.

Each card has a value: for A-7 this is their face value Js are worth 8;Qs 9 and Ks 10.

The player opposite the dealer then begins by taking one of the cards from his hand and then taking one or more cards from the center whose total value is equal to that of the card he took from his hand.

e.g. With a 6 he could take another 6; two 3s;three 2s;an A, a 2 and a 3. etc. All of these cards (those from the table and the one from his hand) are put aside till the end of the set.

Then it is the dealer's turn to play in the same way then play alternates until both players have used all the cards in their hands.

If either player cannot take any cards from the centre because he does not have a card of the appropriate value in his hand or because there are no more cards on the table then he simply places a card from his hand in the center and play passaes to his partner. N.B. a player may choose to do this rather than play if he wishes.

If either player manages to take all the cards in the center that player scores a hurricane.

When both players have used their six cards the round is over. The dealer then deals each player another six cards but does not put any additional cards in the center. The second and third rounds are played leaving the cards from the previous round in the centre.

At the end of the thrird round the last player to play without laying out a card takes all the remaining cards in the centre.

That set is then scored and a new set begins with a new dealer.

Scoring

Sets are played until one player reaches sixteen points. If both players reach sixteen in the same set, then a decider set is played. If that set is a tie, then another is played until there is a winner

For every hurricane a player has he scores one point.

The player who has the most cards scored one point.

The player with the most hearts scores one point.

The player with the 7 of hearts scores one point.

The last point is called the priority point. In order to determine who wins this point each player's cards are asigned the following values.

7s 21 points; 6s 18; As 16; 5s 15; 4s 14; 3s 13; 2s 12; Ks 10; Qs 9; Js 8.

(These points are temporary and are used only for working out the priority point.)

Each player then takes his most valuable card from each suit and adds up their values to find his total priority score.

The player with the highest total priority score scores one point.

If any of the above scores are tied neither player gets a point.