Placebo were formed when schoolfriends Brian Molko and Stefan Olsdal met in South Kensington tube station. Molko was singing that night; Olsdal watched and decided to form a band. Robert Schultzberg joined them at the request of Olsdal. The band was then formed:

  • Brian Molko: Vocals and Guitar
  • Stefan Olsdal: Bass Guitar
  • Robert Schultzberg: Drums

A year passed during which Placebo attracted the attention of many A&R men, culminating with a deal with hut records. 1995 and 1996 saw them tour with Ash, Whale, Bush and David Bowie.

I've only included the 2 albums I have below; node what you know and all that guff:

So why do I like Placebo? Well, they are much maligned over Molko's androgynous appearance and their sexual lyrics; homophobia being alive and well still, unfortunately. So I like them because some others don't? maybe. It's fun to play them to my Mother, watch her huff at the lyrics, then remind her that her favourite band are The Cure :) Brian Molko's voice is so whining and distinct; he is unique to the best of my knowledge. I think the similarity between placebo and smashing pumpkins is a little overstated; I've never really considered it before reading the nodes above, but Molko does seem to use his voice to express things in the same way as Billy Corgan.

Placebo are angsty, touching and desolate, yet uplifting, amusing and somehow hopeful at the same time. They can be played loud during a rocking afternoon, or softly at midnight. (coming down after Bruise Pristine to Lady of the flowers and Swallow is a sublime experience, heightened by the beautiful instrumental hidden after many minutes of silence) Placebo are suitable for angst-ridden nights and lonely mornings, manic days and excited afternoons...

Well, I like them :-)