Two paintings of the same name by Leonardo da Vinci which have more or less the same subject matter. Both are almost exactly the same size and both are oil on wood panel.

The first one was executed around 1483-1486 and was commissioned by the Confraternity of the Conception and intended for the chapel of the Immacolatta in the Church of San Francesco Grande in Milan, and is 199 cm x 122 cm in size. Today it is at the Louvre. It was supposed to detail a scene not in the Bible that justifies why John the Baptist was supposed to be able to baptize Jesus Christ. That implied that John had some sort of authority over Jesus, so the extra-Biblical story goes that during the time the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph dwelt in Egypt to escape Herod's massacre, the Archangel Uriel brought the infant John the Baptist to Egypt so Jesus could give John the authority to baptize him when they were adults. I swear I am not making this up. Anyhow, Leonardo depicted the exact opposite, showing Jesus being blessed by John instead. The child with Mary, while on higher ground, is clearly in a supplicant pose, while the one with Uriel is engaged in a pose of higher authority. The Confraternity was furious at this, and refused to pay Leonardo, and they went on a long winding legal dispute that was later resolved by King Louis XII, who took the painting the Confraternity objected to and had Leonardo make another one.

The second painting dated 1503-1506 is more or less the same, is of almost exactly the same size (189.5 cm x 120 cm). Today it is in the National Gallery in London. It still supposedly shows that same blessing scene, yet once again, the child with Mary is the one being blessed, while the child with Uriel is the one doing the blessing.

These paintings were described as further evidence of heretical beliefs held by Leonardo da Vinci, in Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince's book The Templar Revelation.