The indie rock duo Psapp is composed of Carim Clasmann and Galia Durant. Their debut album, Tiger, My Friend is a fun, light, whimsical offering: electronic pop that employs all manner of squeaking, humming, buzzing implements. Durant's voice is a smooth combination of Imogen Heap and Portishead's Beth Gibbons; she imbues the otherwise rambunctious sounds with soul and gravity.

In 2006, Psapp's sophomore effort, The Only Thing I Ever Wanted, proved that their sound was evolving. Their sound had lost some of its soft edges, and they employed a wider range of sound implement. On "This Way", the 3rd track, part of the recurring ambient noise is the sound of pebbles being tossed on the ground. In the beginning it is an unpleasant, jarring sound.

They frequently include in their album art a drawing of a stylized, pointy eared cat. This is the closest the two have to a unifying motif or mascot, other than the concept of toytronica, electronic music made with toys providing most of the sounds.

The band previously released EP records on vinyl before Tiger, My Friend was released, some of which can be found on PostEverthing.com. These releases provide rare gems, such as the narcotic "Dad's Breakdown", 2 and a 1/2 minute monologue about depression set to an infectious, upbeat melody looping in the foreground.

Certainly a band to invest a little time into, if only for the novelty and zest of their sound.

Discography

EPs

Do Something Wrong

Side A
  • Calm Down
  • Biskitt
  • Pocket
Side B
  • Dad's Breakdown
  • Infra Red
  • Northdown C
Rear Moth
  • Grand Opening
  • Do Something Wrong
  • Whores
  • Your Game

Buttons and War

Side A
  • About Fun
  • Velvet Pony
Side B
  • Feel the Fur
  • About Fun - Isan's Pet Visor Remix
Early Cats and Tracks
  • Dirt Is Falling
  • Do Something Wrong
  • Grand Opening
  • Side Dish
  • Biskitt
  • In My Head
Northdown
  • Curuncula
  • Kevin Paccashio
  • Happy Lamb
  • Glomb
  • Ice Weasel
  • Side Dish
  • Dirt Is falling

LPs

Tiger, My Friend
  • Northdown Flat B1
  • Rear Moth
  • Leaving in Coffins
  • Calm Down
  • Velvet Pony
  • About Fun
  • Curuncula
  • King Kong
  • The Counter
  • Chapter
  • Tiger, My Friend
The Only Thing I Ever Wanted
  • Hi
  • King of You
  • This Way
  • Needle and Thread
  • New Rubbers
  • Tricycle
  • Hill of Our Home
  • The Words
  • Make Up
  • Eating Spiders
  • Upstairs