Jane Eyre,” by Charlotte Bronte, is a typical Victorian novel engaging in many characteristics of things such as education, religion, and culture, which were focused upon at the time. Many characters are spread throughout the novel although it is the minor roles that keep the plot flowing. Jane is both inspired and put down by the minor characters, which helps her to become a more refined being. Even though these people are at a loss for dialogue purposes, they speak to great lengths in the ears of Jane.

At Gateshead, a man by the name of Brocklehurst, who was not only an “interrogator”(p.29) but also a large featured man, contributed to the plot by bringing the setting to Lowood. If Aunt Reed would have never brought him to see Jane, the story would have remained in the surroundings at Gateshead and the storyline would dwindle and not be as interesting. Once at Lowood for a long while, Jane was about to encounter yet another change in scenery, fore Adele in Thornfield Hall was in need for a governess. Little Adele, who is a ten-year old French girl, is the motive that Charlotte Bronte uses in order to bring her character, Jane, to this not yet accustomed dwelling. It is here where she meets Rochester. On the day of the wedding it was Mr. Richard Mason who helped to forward the everlasting episodes, having Jane move away once more to the Moor House. His sister, Bertha Mason, was the living soul that changed Jane’s future plans by her being Rochester’s wife already, and so the plot proceeds. At Moor House, a gothic and mysterious thing happens and Jane goes back to Thornfield, realizing that Mr. St. John Rivers is not the man she will marry. The late Mr. Rochester’s butler who was a “respectable-looking, middle-aged man”(p.456) came into connection with Jane at the damaged site and continued to tell her where her beloved had gone. This is the final transaction that the plot foregoes because it is in Ferndean where the two reunite.

In the Victorian times, novels were often called autobiographies so that the people looking at it could think of it in more believable terms. “Jane Eyre” is diverse from some other novels written at the time because it keeps away from the long descriptions that were accustomed to. The dialogue in this period was very formal and precise. People that were going to schools to become educated in the 1800’s could have probably related to the way that Charlotte Bronte depicted Mr. Brocklehurst’s character at Lowood. He brought fourth the poor ways that the children had to learn by making Jane humiliated in front of her friends and by being uncaring to the pupils that die at the institution from various diseases. Religion was dominantly Christianity and it was believed, as it is now, that if goodness were a part of life, admirable things would happen when heaven was reached. St. John Rivers comes into this field as being the one who is very religious because he wishes to become a missionary.

Women had it unfavorable in this era because everything that was done was a duty, which they had no objections to. The males distinguished that it was not correct for a woman to know about politics so they were not permitted this luxury. Instead, good housewives were always needed. Smart women showed off their knowledge by playing the piano, singing, or reciting poetry. Jane is tortured and tormented by many of the men like Brocklehurst, John Reed, Mr. Lloyd, and Rochester. Aunt Reed also told her children that “she is not worthy of notice”(p.23). Her cousin, John Reed, makes her call him her master and punishes her for nothing and Mr. Lloyd calls her “a baby after all”(p.19), just to be mean to her. Rochester is rude to Jane because of his moods and takes his anger out on her verbally.

Jane is described as being a small and not very pretty person who grows up gathering morals from each destination and applying them to the way that she takes on her life. Although she starts out with a poor life, the tables turn and she is finally happy. Jane becomes better by becoming rich, married to a loving husband, and by having a baby, which she will most definitely give it everything that she was unable to have.

The minor characters all make major influences on Jane Eyre’s life. If not for these characters, Jane’s life would have been an unsure road of unknown fate which may or may not have been as fulfilling for her.