Carparks have been around (probably) since cars themselves. The concept of the parking space is obviously quite closely related to that of the car so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the carpark has become almost as much of a status symbol as the vehicle it contains. Several people in my workplace seem to hoard their spots as if it were their lifeblood, but one must ask the question:

Is a parking space really worth losing my job over?

Yes, that's right - there is a real life basis for that line and the related event did in fact, occur just yesterday. Firstly, here's the saga from my point of view:

(dRiVeN is sitting at his desk, doing a little testing in regards to a problem he is working on)

The company's production manager storms past, staring daggers at all who happen to notice

(dRiVeN elects not to inquire or even acknowledge Mr Juggernaut's passage until...)

A loud crash is heard from the direction of the back door* which is then thrown open and slammed in one swift (and powerful) movement

(quietly, dRiVeN glances around the carpet divider to witness a set of gaping cracks and large hole in what previously appeared to be quite a sturdy door)

A heavy silence descends upon the usually cheery office. The office manager (and head honcho in this neck of the woods) rolls his eyes and follows out the back door.

About a minute later the Production Manager storms back in through the front door, makes a quick left and dissapears into his office where he proceeds to stew for about half an hour...he is later seen carrying a box of possesions out to his car before he dissapears

So what happened? Let me tell you...

First though, a bit of background: The production Manager is rather fanatical about his car and comes in most weekends (his own time) to prune the surrounding gardens and trees so that no shit falls into the carpark. Out of respect for this it has always been an unspoken rule that a spot is saved for him. The Office manager either doesn't know this or doesn't care (he is quite new in this office) but has said on previous occasions that he would like a park left for him around the back (as is his right).

On this particular day our fearless leader drove in to find that there were no spaces free for him. Picking a car at random he pulled over, walked up to the office and requested that the owner of that vehicle kindly remove it to make way for his own. Being so unused to this treatment the Production manager was outraged (you'd see why if you knew the amount of work he puts in to the gardens) and argued the point. It turned out to be a losing battle for him so he stormed out, smashed the door and moved his car - coming back in through the front entrance.

Evidently this angered him enough to whip up a quick letter of resignation (or maybe he had one prepared earlier), submit it and clean out his desk!




Update (the next day): I assume that the job of Production Manager (in this sense)is quite a specialised field 'cause as soon as head office recieved the letter, the offending individual was offered two weeks of stress leave if he would stay. The offer has been accepted (I suspect he feels quite foolish now) and the door is already being bogged and painted. Life goes on. I suspect his days are numbered though as there is already talk of training up someone else in a suspiciously similar area.THE IRON FIST OF MANAGEMENT CRUSHES ALL WHO OPPOSE IT!

Keep it real.