Here's Czeano's version of everyone's bastardized Americanized recipe, adopted because:
- The ingredients store well, with the exception of the beef
- It's inexpensive
- It's easy to prepare, even in a rush, and
- It can be fun to make with friends, youngsters, enemies and even vegetarians (see below)
The Stuff You Need
1 lb ground beef
1 16oz can of baked beans (your humble narrator recommends Bush's or B&M)
1 c frozen corn
1 c frozen peppers
3-4 c instant potatoes, prepared1
1 tbsp chili powder (or more)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
salt, pepper to taste
Oven to 350°
What To Do With It All
- Brown the beef. Drain it.
- While the beef is a brownin', make the "instant" potatoes in a saucepan.
- Pour the can of baked beans into the same skillet you browned the beef.
- On medium heat, stir the beans and beef together, adding the frozen veggies as you go. Add the spices and make sure they're good and mixed. (You can try it here just to see what you need more of.)
- Pour the skillet full of stuff into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Scrape the mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture, spread them around so it's even.
- Sprinkle some more chili powder over the top of the potatoes.
- Throw that sucker in the oven, for 20-25 minutes or so. When it smells good, it's done.
Variations for Parties
1 I recommed adding more milk (or water) to the recipe than recommended, you want the potatoes to be a little smoother than you usually make them.