It seems like every band, once they have established themselves, feels the need to produce some kind of holiday themed album. Normally I would say Christmas, but this one has a few Hanukah songs on it as well. Barenaked Ladies are no exception to this rule. The result is Barenaked for the Holidays, with the requisite carols, warm and fuzzy type songs, and (of course) the traditional BNL silliness.

The Songs:

  1. Jingle Bells
    A pretty rendition of the classic, jazzed up with some neat tempo changes.
  2. Green Christmas
    This is from the abysmal live action How the Grinch stole Chrsitmas, but the song is cute.
  3. I Saw Three Ships
    I'm not sure how this is supposed to sound (being Jewish), but I'm going to assume it is the standard rendition. Very nice.
  4. Hanukah Blessings
    I wonder why Ed doesn't sing this one, he is the Jewish guy in the band. At any rate, it is a nice song about Hanukah, incorporating the brachot and why we say them.
  5. O Holy Night
    An instumental version of the original, with has heavy electronic overtones. Short, but cute.
  6. Elf's Lament (with Michael Buble)
    Probably my favorite song on this album. It is a charming song about what Christmas means to an elf, who has to work so that you can have your cheer.
  7. Snowmen
    A BNL orginal, about the feelings of a snowman.
  8. Do They Know it's Christmas?
    A nice version of "Feed the World."
  9. Hanukah O Hanukah
    Again, Steven Page proving his non-mastery of Hebrew. All in all, not too bad.
  10. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (with Sarah McLachlan)
    A pretty version of a pretty carol. It has Sarah McLahclan singing We Three Kings counter to it.
  11. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Another instrumental, which sounds exactly like the first (except the actual song is different).
  12. Carol of the Bells
    Pretty much the standard version here, minus any vocals which sometimes sneak their way in.
  13. Footprints
    A BNL orginal, and a lovely song about a man searching for his love by following her footprints in the snow.
  14. Deck the Stills
    I can't spoil the surprise on this one. Let's just say that BNL hijinks reign supreme on this track.
  15. Christmastime (Oh Yeah)
    A BNL original about the feelings that the Christmas season engenders.
  16. Sleigh Ride
    No words, but done scat-cat style.
  17. Christmas Pics
    A BNL original about Christmas, seen through the pictures the family takes.
  18. I have a Little Dreidel
    What can I say. It's the classic Hanukah song done the usual way.
  19. Wonderful Christmastime
    You'll just have to listen to this one. Trust me.
  20. Auld Lang Syne
    No comments here. Pretty, classic, and timeless.

I really like the Barenaked Ladies, so this album was worth listening to, but it doesn't rank up there with Stunt or Gordon. Cute, but not amazing.