A vocal problem arising from misuse or overuse of the vocal folds. A nodule begins as a haematoma or bruise on the edge of a vocal fold. Without treatment and proper diagnosis, it will enlarge and develop into a nodule. If the lesion is small, it may simply go away with rest and correct technique. However, larger nodules require surgical removal. The procedures for doing so are theoretically simple, but botched surgeries do occur, most notably in the case of Julie Andrews, who won a major malpractice suit against her otolaryngologist.

Any person who uses his or her voice often can develop nodes, but certain people are at greater risk. Anecdotal evidence suggests women are at greater risk than men. Of course, people who use their voice professionally, such as singers, lecturers, preachers, and salespeople, must be careful to safeguard their voice. Rock and pop singers often sing with poor technique, and are at great risk of developing nodules. Cheerleaders and sports coaches develop them very commonly, from their long hours of screaming from the sidelines.

Of course, while corrective surgery or extended periods of rest may remove the nodules, follow-up visits with a speech pathologist must be scheduled to correct the faulty technique that caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks:
Bunch, Meribeth. Dynamics of the Singing Voice.
Miller, Richard. The Structure of Singing.