Feel like something fresh and yum?

You will need:

Group A

  • 500g filleted "fresh off the boat" fish, (I used Warehou1)
  • 1/2 can (~200ml) coconut cream
  • 4 lemons, juice of (~50-150ml)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 fresh red chilli - sliced or substitute with flakes, but not sauce or powder, (I used flakes)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons fish sauce (Nuoc mam)
  • 1 stick of celery -chopped

Group B

Group C

  • 1/2 C raw peanuts
  • 1 lime

Directions

Cut up the fish and place in a bowl, pour over lemon juice, coconut cream, fish sauce. Add sugar, chilli and chopped celery. Mix and let sit at room temp covered for 1-3 hours. Some would say put it in the fridge, but the chemical reaction will occur faster at room temp.

Combine ingredients from group B in an aesthetically pleasing arrangement on 2-4 plates starting with the cradling lettuce leaves. Chill the salads.

Roast peanuts under the griller, shaking the pan so they cook evenly and remove before they blacken. Then chop.

Once the flesh has changed colour from translucent to white, chill the mixture in the freezer for 10min. or so until the mix is chilled.

Final Assembly
Its time to ladle the fish mix onto the centre the salads. Garnish with the nuts as you wish - I liked heavy nuttage. Serve with the lime quarters as an extra option.
If you like this, you should try other raw fish salad recipes. For example: Kokoda from Fiji, and Poisson Cru from Tahiti, are similar salads from different parts of Polynesia. There is also Yee Sang (鱼生) a Chaozhou Chinese New Year special, and Koy Pa from Cambodia.

1 This is a fish common in New Zealand, there is more information at Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand

http://www.teara.govt.nz/EarthSeaAndSky/SeaLife/OceanicFish/4/ENZ-Resources/Standard/5/en