Fabulous surreal four-part work by brothers Andrew Langridge and Roger Langridge. Predecessor to Zoot!. Published between 1990 and 1992 by Fantagraphics books. Inspired by many of the absurdist-leaning art movements of the 20th century, such as the Dadaists and the Situationists (several volumes of the comic cite four artists as inspirations: Marcel DuChamp, Rae Armantrout, Jean-Luc Godard, and Vivian Darkbloom). The comic features aggressivly weird characters in the most absurd situations. Puns flow by constantly, but manage to do so without interrupting the pacing or plot. A constant theme is the visual play of typical comic book conventions, like th arrangement of panels, and the size, spacing, and flow of those panels, all to wonderful comic effect. This comic is, to my mind, an important part of why comics are important. It's interesting, intelligent, funny, and nice to look at.

By way of reference I'll identify a few other comics which I enjoy. There aren't many... Black Hole, Yummy Fur and Underwater (anything by Chester Brown), Love and Rockets (again, anything by Los Brothers Hernandez), the works of Adrian Tomine, Meat Cake (by Dame Darcy)...

Andrew and Roger Langridge are from New Zealand; I don't know much about Andrew (who does most of the wonderful writing for Art d'Ecco and Zoot!), but Roger (who does most of the drawing/inking) has worked on a Captain America special for marvel as well as a number of one-off titles for DC (in the "Big Books Of..." series), the DC Gross Point series, and the Dark Horse comics Kabuki Kid and Doctor Spin.