Yes, all the major counterculture movements of the left in America (hippies, anarchists/pacifists, communists, and hardcore deindustrialization environmentalists are probably the only groups whose values and basic idea for a new social order are unrevocably counter to the institutions of modern society) have been suffering a long decline into irrelevancy over the last half century and while lame, whimpering remains of the truly radical left exist, it is not long before they too will die out. Though there is not one event, one defeat, that pronounced this prognosis and the radical left was in decline then too, the collapse of the Eastern bloc was certainly a crucial nail in the coffin.

What happened, I think, is an example of catastrophic success: the counterculture won so many battles in changing social norms, with regards to women's rights, civil rights, gay rights, etc., that it seems that those subgroups that were concerned with these issues lost the incentive to associate themselves with the counterculture of the left. Once they won recognition as legitimate causes and won a place in the social order, they no longer had a reason to encourage the toppling of said order. You see, they didn't want to undo American society, they just wanted a place in that society equal for women, gays, blacks, etc. equal to that of the white hetro men (plus, often their acceptence into the mainstream was secured by "buying into" its institutions; see same-sex marriage). The only movements that didn't retire from the counterculture were those whose proposed social order really stood counter to the current one (actually, only these should be thought really as countercultural in the first place, but the others are attached because of their sometime alliance with the counterculture). What remained was too narrow to survive for long.

Therefore, it seems to many people today that American culture is in a way monolithic. Certainly, it is a diverse monolith, with lots of internal friction, but it is one big "Yes". There is no voice of "no" that rejects the basic assumptions of modern society and replaces its own set, a Thoreau, if you will, that takes himself out of society and goes to live on Walden pond, or a Kerouac that goes On the Road, or a Guthrie-like troubadour. Indeed, it looks worse than the mere disappearance of the counterculture itself, it looks like the defeat of a certain kind of romantic artistic soul.

And this is my thesis, which I base on Turner's famous thesis: According to Turner, the western frontier, between the wilderness and established society, was a constant source of freedom, essential in "breaking the bonds of custom (and) offering new experiences", and with its closing, though some anti-state traditions remained, most of the living frontier spirit ossified. The same is true for the counterculture (which if we do take Thoreau to be a precursor of can be seen to grow, as a spiritual frontier, out of the closing of the western frontier). The existence of counterculture allowed a very visible alternative to escape to for those who have been oppressed by the bonds of custom. And in that alternative space new, fairer, freer traditions and institutions could be formed to eventually be accepted into established society. Sadly, it seems, this alternative is by and large gone now. But just as Thoreau, for whom the frontier closed, went out in the forest and made his own frontier of one, hopefully those of us with pioneering spirits can go out and make our own countercultures of one.

Now, two of the above write ups have been written no later than 2000, when the Millennials (a.k.a. Generation Y) were just coming of age. While they decry the disappearance of "real rebellion" in pretty strong terms, I daresay they didn't know the half of what was coming. Generation X was the last American generation with its mind set on open rebellion. Eventually, as noded above, most of their "alternative" (goth, grunge, death metal et al.) culture got "sold out" and turned into a "consumerist sham", but the real underlying problem with Generation X wasn't that they "sold out" but that their philosophy was dreck to begin with: despair, lack of ambition, downward social mobility, and most importantly the pursuit of counterculture for the sake of counterculture. Namely, their inexplicable obsession with not "selling out", unabashedly denouncing a cause or cultural creation of their own when it becomes popular. It was perhaps a symptom of the dying counterculture.

But where Generation X embraced the notion of a counterculture, nuttily as they did, the Millennials who followed would have none of it. We have become a monolothic "Yes". We don't even have the corrupted rebellion to complain about like in 2000. It's not that Millennials don't have idealism, they have a ton of it and are excited about a lot of causes (as witnessed in the 2008 US presidential elections). It's just that a counterculture does not figure into their plan for achieveing their ideals. They especially don't want it to play the role it did for Generation X: an entrenched, stubborn, and counterproductive opposition for the sake opposition. What they want is productive work and a buy-in in the mainstream to further their goals. Maybe that's a more reasonable strategy, but if it did spell the end of the counterculture, and if you buy my thesis, then that's a sad development.

 

P.S. I just wanted to note that there is a very alive and prosperous counterculture still today, but it is not continuation of the counterculture of the left. I am talking of the sphere of religious fundamentalism around the world. It is truly the strongest counterculture movement right now, and it is on the rise. It is also truly a countercultural phenomenon, with people retiring wholly from normal society in order to live in a new (or rather old) kind of society. Even though I believe it does offer an alternative to oppressed groups and people, I think it's not one that works against the bonds of custom and its trend is not toward freer, fairer institutions.