Steve Jobs' illness and passing.

Steve announced his illness in mid-2004, a form of pancreatic cancer called islet cell neuroendocrine tumor. He underwent a pancreaticoduodenectomy later that year that appeared to remove the tumor. He did not undergo or receive chemotherapy or radiation treatment for the disease.

In 2008 questions arose about Steve's health due to his appearance, with Apple chalking it up to a common bug. However, on January 5, 2009 Apple stated that Steve had been suffering from a "hormone imbalance" for several months. On January 14, 2009, an internal memo written by Jobs stated that his health related issues were much more complex than he had originally thought, and in April 2009 Jobs underwent a liver transplant at the Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute in Memphis, Tennessee. His prognosis was excellent.

On January 17, 2011 Steve took a leave of absence from Apple to "focus on his health." He resigned as Apple's CEO on August 24, 2011 due to his illness.

Steve Jobs died on October 5, 2011 at the age of 56. The Jobs family stated that "Steve died peacefully (today) surrounded by his family."

Our world has lost a great visionary, inventor, and businessman. Rest in Peace, Steve.