Authors: Dr. Kenneth Blanchard, Ph.D. and Dr. Spencer Johnson, M.D.
Pages: 111
Publisher: William Morrow and Co., Inc., 1982/Berkley Books, 1983
Reviewed by: cecil36
ISBN: 0-425-09847-8 (paperback)
Rating: 10 (on a scale from 1 to 10)
Summary: Guide to learning an effective management technique to increase the output of your co-workers and team members.

The principle of being a One Minute Manager is told as a story of a young executive who is out looking for a good example of an effective manager. In his search, he learns about The One Minute Manager, who gives him a task to see six people who he has trained in learning the techniques of One Minute Management.

This book is fairly short, and can be read in one evening. The book is designed to be understood at a very basic reading level, but this is not a book that I would recommend for a grammar school book report. This book is written for people who wish to better themselves as a leader of people in a business or organizational setting.

While reading this book, keep in mind that you can't read this book once and expect to know everything in it. It is assumed that you will apply the knowledge in the book in some type of setting, whether it's working with a team of programmers in developing mission-critical code for a major project, or coaching a team of baseball players in a city recreational league.

Table of Contents
  • The Search
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The First Secret: One Minute Goals
  • One Minute Goals: Summary
  • The Second Secret: One Minute Praisings
  • One Minute Praisings: Summary
  • The Appraisal
  • The Third Secret: One Minute Reprimands
  • One Minute Reprimands: Summary
  • The One Minute Manager Explains
  • Why One Minute Goals Work
  • Why One Minute Praisings Work
  • Why One Minute Reprimands Work
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • A Gift to Yourself
  • A Gift to Others