The MCV-80 Fv 510 "Warrior" is the current armoured infantry fighting vehicle (AIFV) currently in service with the British Army. First introduced in the late 1980s, the Warrior replaced the ageing AFV 432, and nearly all vehicles had been delivered to their armoured infantry battalions by 1995. 789 Warriors were purchased by the Ministry of Defence, with around 500 in service with the Army at one time (to provide a War Maintenance Reserve).

There are seven variants in total, examples being a mechanised recovery version in service with the REME, a combat engineer variant for the Royal Engineers and an artillery command unit with the Royal Artillery. The original replacement date of the Warrior is 2020, although some infantry units have been receiving improved digitised versions, the "Warrior 2000", so that older vehicles can be used in a support role. The creation of a new "Battalion Assault Support Vehicle" would allow support elements such as 81mm mortars to keep pace with the actual fighting vehicles (a major failing in 1991 when old 432s were used for this).

The Warrior's 30mm cannon is capable of firing single rounds, three-round bursts and automatic fire, although the latter is rarely used, to conserve ammunition. This weapon can destroy enemy APCs at up to 1500 meters. The soldiers in the back of the Warrior can also lend their firepower to the battlefield, as hatches behind the turret can open up to allow them to stand.

The British Army has used these AIFVs with success in both Gulf Wars, and battalions have also used them on operational tours in the Balkans in the last decade. The main training ground for the Warrior is Salisbury Plain in England, with at least one armoured infantry battalion stationed in the nearby Winchester base at any one time (presently the Royal Green Jackets).

Kuwait is the only other country to have ordered Warrior Fighting Vehicles, some adapted to a reconnaisance role with a 90mm gun. This order was in the region of 200-250 vehicles.

Specs:

Length: 6.34 meters
Width: 3.0 m
Height (top of turret): 2.78 m
Weight (loaded): 24, 500 kg
Ground clearance: 0.5 m
Max road speed: 75 kph
Road range: 500km
Engine: Rolls Royce CV8 Diesel
Horsepower: 550hp
Crew: 2 (driver and gunner) Passengers: 1 infantry section (8 soldiers - includes section i/c as commander in turret)
Main armament: L21 30mm Rarden cannon
Other armaments: Coaxial EX-34 7.62mm Hughes Helicopter Chain Gun, Smoke Dischargers (Royal Ordnance VIRSS *)
NBC Proof: Yes
Night Vision: Standard

* VIRSS = "Visual and Infra Red Screening Smoke"


Sources:
www.army.mod.uk
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide".