The FV-102 Striker is the anti-tank guided weapon vehicle currently used by the British Army. Built by Alvis Vehicles Limited and British Aerospace Defence Limited, there are approximately 48 in service, forming part of the CVRT (Combat Vehicle Reconnaisance Tracked) series. The Striker system provides a mobile, hard-hitting anti-tank platform able to keep up with the MBTs of the army, the Challenger 2.

Striker is used by the armoured reconnaisance regiment, in troops of four vehicles each. The missiles do not have to be controlled by crew inside the vehicle itself, as a seperated sight enables Striker to be hidden in dead ground and the missiles can then be fired and directed from up to 100m away. A major drawback ,however, is the reload procedure. This has to be done from outside the launch vehicle, dangerously exposing the crewman who has to reload the missiles.

The Swingfire missile currently in service (costing £7, 500 each) is likely to be replaced by either the MR (Medium Range) or possibly the LR (Long Range) Trigat, a European collaborative project (mainly between the UK, Germany and France). The chassis is also likely to be replaced by a new Multi Role Armoured Vehicle, or MRAV, variant.

Specs:

Length: 4.8 m
Width: 2.2 m
Height: 2.2 m
Weight: 8, 346 kg
Ground clearance: 0.35 m
Max road speed: 80 kph
Road range: 483 km
Engine: Jaguar J60 No. 1 Mark 100B (to be refitted with diesel engines by 2005)
Fuel capacity: 350 litres
Horsepower: 190 bhp
Crew: 3 (driver, operator/gunner and loader)
Main armament: Swingfire ATGW (Anti Tank Guided Weapon)
Other armaments: 7.62 mm machine gun, Smoke Dischargers (Royal Ordnance VIRSS *)
NBC Proof: Yes
Night Vision: Yes

* VIRSS = "Visual and Infra Red Screening Smoke"


Sources:
www.army.mod.uk
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide"