NaNoWriMo is an intriguing idea, isn't it? I've been vaguely toying with the idea of writing something for it. Never mind the quality, just get it down.

But what to write about? I couldn't think of anything amusing or interesting enough to hold even my own attention span for 50,000 words. I often feel like a complete blank these days. I'm blank, I feel like I have nothing to say for myself, other than 'yes please' when someone offers to make tea. Which reminds me...

*slurp*

Anyway, they say you have to write about what you know. Well... I don't know much. Not much in the way of life experience. Write about what you know... Well, I decided my novel would be about a guy called Colin who decides to write a novel for NaNoWriMo.

It's a bit recursive. In chapter one, he decides to write his novel about him writing his novel, sitting down at his desk with his iBook, and starting to write. The second chapter recounts what he writes. The third chapter, well... that recounts what his main character wrote.

It kinda goes on like this for quite a while, until one of the guys named Colin realises he could simply write a recursive perl script to write the novel for him up to the point where he's got 50,000 words, at which point, having reached the base case of the recursion, the main character realises he can simply write a perl script.

Job done. I figure all I have to do now is wait for the royalties to start pouring in, and by that time I'll have come up with my inspiration for a sequel. Ker-ching!

You may think the plot sounds kinda lame, but I can take heart at least in the knowledge that, lame as it may be, Donnie Darko's plot was much lamer and that still managed to sucker me out of £5.80.