Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes

This is pretty similar to CzarKhan's recipe for Roasted Rosemary Potatoes, but I think its different enough to merit its own writeup. Anyway, it’s pretty easy and a really perfect side dish for any variety of main dishes. So here it is, just like my daddy taught me.

Ingredients

  • 5 lbs potatoes (red or new are best, but russet or gold work too)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup pearl onions or 1 large red onion
  • 1 bulb garlic or 1 small jar minced garlic
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Basil
  • Garlic Salt (plain salt is ok)
  • Carrot (optional)

Cook it up!
Ok, start out by cutting the potatoes. I highly recommend that you only wash, and do not peel them. Cut the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch cubes and then throw 'em in a large mixing bowl. If you are going with the carrot, do the same. If you are using pearl onions, peel them and chop off the tiny little ends. If not, you want to cut your red onion into 1/2 inch chunks too. Next is the garlic. If you are using fresh, you want to finely mince between 4 and 10 cloves (but come on, don't kill anybody). For preminced garlic, use 1-4 tbsp.

Now that all this is in your mixing bowl, you want to add the herbs and such. This is pretty imprecise, I usually just shake until it looks good, but if I had to estimate, I would say 1 tbsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp ground thyme and 1/4 tsp garlic salt. Once all this junk is in the mixing bowl, add your olive oil. Start with at least 1/4 cup. Now mix it all up. If everything doesn't seem evenly coated, add more oil.

Next, spread the potatoes out on a large, flat cookie sheet. It should cover the sheet so that it's all about 1 potato cube deep. Now that it's spread out, lightly salt it again. Then, throw it into you preheated oven at about 400f (375f for soft, 425f for crispy) for about 40-45 minutes. Every ten minutes, pull the potatoes out and toss them with a spatula then lightly salt and dust with rosemary before you put them back in. To check if they are done: they should be golden brown and soft enough to cut with the side of a fork.

Now serve it next to that yummy stuffed chicken or peppercorn steak and you are good to go.