A fairly comprehensive survey of England commissioned by William I (aka William the Conqueror and/or William of Normandy of The Battle of Hastings fame), undertaken by the conquering Normans to assess the extent of available assets, and to serve as a vehicle for tax assessment, but also important as a basis for assignment of feudal rights and duties.

The first draft, completed in 1086, contained records for 13,418 settlements in England. The complete text of the Domesday book can be found at: http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/

This is the account of one village in Essex..

Peter de Valence holds in domain Hecham, which Haldane a freeman held in the time of King Edward, as a manor, and as 5 hides. There have always been 2 ploughs in the demesne, 4 ploughs of the men. At that time there were 8 villeins, now 10; then there were 2 bordars, now 3; at both times 4 s 1, woods for 300 swine, 18 acres of meadow. Then there were 2 fish ponds and a half, now there are none. At that time there was 1 ox, now there are 15 cattle and 1 small horse and 18 swine and 2 hives of bees. At that time it was worth 60s., now 4f-. 1 Os. When he received this manor he found only 1 ox and 1 planted acre. Of those 5 hides spoken of above, one was held in the time of Kind Edward by 2 freemen, and was added to this manor in the time of King William. It was worth in the time of King Edward 10s., now 22s., and William holds this from Peter de Valence.