I think I need a break…

Like most things in life, at some point in time, one can usually be counted on for taking some of them for granted. I don’t care if it’s a lover, a friend, a job a website or what time the bus comes to haul your carcass to work in the morning. Eventually it’s bound to happen.

I’m sure it’s not intentional. It creeps up on you and I’m guessing that it’s something akin to the aging process. You wake up one morning; you look in the same mirror that you’ve been looking in for years but somehow the face staring back at you seems somehow different. It’s not like it’s unrecognizable, just….different. There might be a gray hair here and there or a wrinkle or two that went unnoticed but, for some reason, on this day, when your face stares back at you, the changes are as plain as the nose that's planted there. I'm guessing that for many of us, we don’t like what we see. The funny thing is though, it doesn’t matter whether you like them or not, they’re here to stay.

You might try and take some small steps to cover them up, you know, a little hair coloring here and there or some wrinkle cream to try and resurrect or recapture something that once was but in the back of your head, you know it’s a futile effort. It’s like trying to fight the tides or stem the march of evolution, you just can’t.

I’m also guessing that after awhile, barring such drastic actions like plastic surgery, you get used to the new face staring back at you. For each of us, the time that elapses between the face you took for granted and the one you’re going to have to become familiar with is different. Eventually though, you grow accustomed to it and things return to “normal” and, once again, all is right with the world.

I guess what I’m saying is that I need a break from the one I hold so near and dear, the one who has opened my eyes to so many things and to so many people from all walks of life that I’d never had met or been exposed to had it not been here. How long will the break be, I don’t know. A day, a week, a month, a couple of months, who can tell?

All I know is that the face will once again become familiar and the love will eventually return. It might be a little faded or it might be a little stronger but rest assured, it will return. Only time will tell when. In the meantime, keep a candle burning in the window so that when the time does comes, I can find my way home.

Peace to you each and every one of you.

(If anybody needs to get in touch with me my e-mail address is on my h/n.)