A quick follow up to my daylog of about a week ago.

Well, we can put the rumors to bed, at least for now. I was called into my boss’s office for a fifteen minute meeting a few days ago. Now, I don’t know about you but since this isn’t my first rodeo, I know nothing good can come out of meeting that’s scheduled to only last fifteen minutes. It’s been my experience in the business world that something so abrupt means that the decisions have already been made and there’s no wiggle room in the form of negotiations or counter arguments.

My suspicions were confirmed when I was told that not I only would I not be offered a position by the new company, my current position was being terminated and that as of 3/31/2015 I would be out of job. Oh, I was free to look around the company for other open positions but don’t hold your breath, we’re not really hiring here in Columbus. At first I was bit dismayed. This was the first time in my life that I’ve ever been part of a “staff reduction initiative” and I’d be lying if I said it didn’t sting a bit. But, here’s the upside.

Starting on April 1st I’ll be placed on what is known as “paid administrative leave” for a period of sixty days (with full benefits) during which time I’m free to look for another job, sit around my house, wander around the golf course (weather permitting) or basically do whatever the hell it is I please. During that time the company will also offer some free placement services that will help tidy up my resume and look for suitable positions in and around Columbus on my behalf.

After that, my “severance package” will kick in. This includes two weeks pay for each year of service at the company. Since I’ve been here about eight years, that's another four months of pay and if I include such things as accrued unused vacation time, it might stretch it out to five.

So, it looks like I’ve got until September/October to find something I like. Barring that, I’d have to dip into my 401(k) to make ends meet.

I wish I had something profound or prophetic to say about my current state of affairs but I don't. Maybe one of my favorite authors summed it up best when he said:

So it goes

All the best, all the time,

borgo