Well, I’ve begun the weeding out process for candidates for the first annual Node of the Year awards (tentatively called “The Nodies”) and let me tell you, it’s starting out to be quite daunting. Here’s where I am in the process so far.

First of all, I’d like to say thanks to user mauler for pointing out the Writeups by Type tool. That was most helpful in getting w/u counts so far for the year 2014. I just wish it showed the rep count and the number of C!s for each of the w/u’s. That would have made this chore a whole lot easier. (Hint, hint)

Speaking of counts, here’s the breakdown of nodes by write up type to consider. My math might be a bit fuzzy but its close enough for government work.

  1. Essay – 112
  2. Event – 55
  3. Fiction – 220
  4. How-to – 38
  5. Idea -143
  6. Log – 393
  7. Opinion – 38
  8. Person – 90
  9. Personal – 168
  10. Place – 54
  11. Poetry – 288
  12. Recipe – 33
  13. Review – 250
  14. Thing – 612

That’s 2,494 in total for any of you out there who are keeping score.

My next step is going to be to try and weed out some things that are clearly in the incorrect w/u type. I’m certainly not going to go into each individual w/u type and try to either correct it myself or ask permission from the original author to do so. I’m also not going to cite specific examples here for fear of starting a shit storm. I guess what I’m saying is that “you chose it, you live with it” and you’re just going to have to trust my judgment along with some of my esteemed colleagues who are willing to step up into our first foray into “The Nodies”.

As far as the “Log” w/u type goes, I’m not going to consider any Editor or Root logs that were posted in 2014. For the most part, I consider those types of things more informational in nature and in my mind’s eye don’t qualify for an award.

The same thing goes for Decaversal Studios Interviews conducted in 2014 that fell under the w/u type of “Person”.

I’m still looking at all of the w/u’s in each of the w/u types for trends to make this job a bit easier.

After I get those numbers whittled down some I’ll be asking for some volunteers to help assist me to get it whittled down even further. I’m still in the “thinking stage” on that on how I should go about it so, if any of you out there have some spare time on your hands and want to join in on the fun, let me know. In the end, I hope to have it pared down to five "nominees" for each w/u type.

From there, we'll post a user poll for each w/u type and keep it open for "X" amount of days and list the nominees and let you folks decide the winners. I'll then announce them via an awards ceremony in the form of a write up. If anybody has a better way to go about it, let me know.

I’ll try and keep everybody updated as events transpire and as always, feel free to shoot me a message with any questions, comments or concerns. I’ll either respond to them individually or post them (with your permission) along with my response at the bottom of this w/u. Transparency = good in my book.

Oh, one last thing, if any of you want to pull a Marlon Brando or George C. Scott or just have an aversion to awards in general, let me know and I’ll pull all your work from consideration.

Thanks,

borgo