I like cats as much as the next guy, I’ve even got one that keeps me company whenever it feels like it but it’s things like this that make me shake my head in disbelief.

According to the fine folks at the American Veterinary Medical Association, anywhere between forty to fifty percent of our feline friends might be suffering from obesity. Many of them spend their entire life just lounging around the house with nothing to do but look bored. Naturally, according to the experts, these same conditions wouldn’t exist in the wild and our furry friends would have to hunt in order to eat. By doing so, not only would they get a fine repast as a result of their efforts, they would also get some exercise and would also have to remain alert as not to fall victim to other likely predators.

Consider, if you will, that your average mouse is made up of 3 percent carbohydrates, 40 percent protein and 50 percent fat. (I don’t know what makes up the other 7 percent and probably don’t want to.) Your average cat food on the other hand, is most likely made up of a majority of corn and soy products with a little meaty like flavoring thrown in for good measure. According to people who research such matters, this is not good for kitty since their little systems are perfectly designed to break down the fat and the protein but fall short when it comes to the carbs. The result is the obese cat.

Besides having a shorter life span, obesity in cats can also result in feline diabetes, urinary infections, liver problems and the early erosion of their teeth. If you‘re one of the so called cat people who loves Snowball to death, you can probably get some kind of picture of what your veterinarian bill would be like.

When this stat was announced, pet food makers and manufactures sat up and took notice. Perhaps trying to cash in on the recent popularity of “low-carb diets” such as the Atkins Diet, they have come up with one of their own Yes, it is the “Catkins Diet” and while it doesn’t exactly come with mice or birds and stuff, it is made mostly of meat by-products that are supposed to keep kitty slim and trim for years to come. There are a couple of drawbacks though.

Wet versus dry

Wet Food–Cons

  • Comes in cans
  • Is heavy to carry home from the store
  • Is more expensive
  • Takes up a lot of space in the cupboard
  • Pain in the butt to clean cat dish
  • Stinks when they eat it
  • Stinks when they poop it

Wet - Pros

  • Better for cat

Dry Food – Cons

  • Bad for cat

Dry Food - Pros

  • Comes in easy to store box
  • Cheaper than wet food
  • Easy to clean cat dish
  • Does not smell up the room when they eat it
  • Poop smell not as bad as wet

So there you have it folks, it’s up to you to decide. Do you want your cat fat, lazy and stupid or would you rather it be in tip top condition?

Personally, with all that’s going on these days, my cat is one of the last things I’m thinking of.

Note: Americans spend over 30 billion dollars a year on pet supplies, 3 billion of which goes towards the purchase of cat food.

Source(s) members.aol.com/oddwonder/kitties.htm
www.kosherpets.com/Florida%20Times-Union%20Article.htm
www.catnutrition.org/Catkins.htm