I was sitting around last night just wondering about certain things. What follows is sort of a free from kinda thing about stuff that makes me hold my breath, if only for a moment. I don’t consider it to be “poetry by any stretch of the imagination even though I think most of us have a life filled with poems that are just waiting to told. It’s just a certain sort of randomness which clicks on in my head every now and again.

So, here goes, some stuff that makes me hold my breath…

When the cat goes out at night, I wonder if it’s gonna come home by morning. If it doesn’t, I don’t want to be the one to explain to my little one about the circumstances. There are too many lost cats as it is.

The way the girl walks in the bar, maybe she’s been there before and then again, maybe not. For all I know, maybe she’s been there an entire lifetime, just waiting. A glance in her direction returns a smile. A drink is shared. Goodnights are exchanged.

Home, to the comfort of an empty house. The promise of music, a nightcap or two and silent thoughts that echo off the walls. Tick, tick, tick, there’s always gonna be another day.

Which brings me to the dance of tomorrow. Games to be played with me on the sidelines to watch. “Kick the ball!!!” “Shoot!!!” “Score!!!”. Self satisfied smiles and hugs. More stories to be told...

Wait. Watch Worry. Wonder. Wander

Four of those words seem somehow to define me. I’m in a holding pattern these days. The “wander” part will have to be put on hold for now. Someday, if I’m lucky, I’ll get to spread my wings a little further...

Yes, there’s always tomorrow to fret about or yesterday to recall. They can both take my breath away if I take the time to notice things, everything.

I’m glad the stars are out tonight. I can breathe again…