A series of wars fought between Israel and various Arab countries between 1948 and 1982. A little about each of them....

The first occurred in 1948 - 1949. It reflected the opposition of the Arab states to the formation of a Jewish state in what they considered Arab territories. Newly created Israel was invaded by forces of Egypt, Syria, Transjordan (later called just plain old Jordan), Lebanon, Syria, and Iraq. A United Nations sponsored peace treaty was arranged but as we all know, fighting has broken out periodically (daily?) over the basic issue if Israel's right to exist.

The second occurred in 1956, Israel, joined by France and Great Britain, attacked Egypt. Reason being, the Egyptian government had nationalized the Suez Canal. Once again, the United Nations intervened and with the support of both the United States and Soviet Union, a cease fire was put into effect.

The third occurred in 1967, better known as the Six-Day War, Israel, in response to what they deemed provocation by Egypt, responded with air attacks and ground forces. Egypt suffered what was a humiliating defeat and subsequently lost control of the Sinai Peninsula. Both Jordan and Syria attacked Israel in support of Egypt. They too were rewarded with the loss of the West Bank and the Golan Heights.

Next in line, the Yom Kippur War of 1973-74. Egypt, Syria and Iraq attacked Israel on the Jewish holy Day of Atonement. After being caught off guard, the Israeli troops recouped and forced the Arab troops to give up their intial gains.. Again, a cease fire stopped the fighting but Israel and Egypt later signed the Camp David Accords

Again, in 1978, Palestinian guerillas, from a base in Lebanon launched an air raid on Israel. Israel responded by sending troops into southern Lebanon to occupy a strip and protect their border. Eventually, A UN peace keeping force was set up there but occasional fighting continued.

In 1982, Israel launched a massive attack to destroy all military bases of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) in southern Lebanon. After a ten week seige of the Muslim sector of west Beirut, the Palestinians accepted a U.S sponsored plan in whihc the PLO guerillas evacuated Beirut for several Arab countries. Israel subsequently withdrew from Beirut in 1985.