this recipe for home made spaghetti sauce comes from the ungarretti and cappechi family lines that came over on the Big Boat to start a new life in the Land of Opportunity around 1880-1900.

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion (large white or yellow onion works great)
5-10 cloves of garlic
30 oz can of tomato sauce
15 oz can of chopped tomatoes or whole stewed tomatoes
6-8 oz can of tomato paste
a few palms of italian seasoning
a tablespoon or so of basil (a couple whole basil leaves works better)
a bottle of extra virgin olive oil to be used at random intervals and with much gusto
salt and pepper
any extra veggies you wish to experiment with (celery, black olives, green/red/yellow pepper, parsley, chives, spinach, etc.)

step 1: prep
make sure you have everything to make the stuff. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
dice and chop up the onions and garlic cloves. make sure you peel them first.
prepare any other vegetables you plan on sticking in your experiment.
make sure you still have everything to make the spaghetti. (cats will always steal something. discipline them accordingly)

step 2: cook the stuff
start off by browning the beef (make sure the beef breaks up). drop a few glugs of olive oil in the pan
add the onions and garlic halfway through browning the beef. salt and pepper to taste. maybe more olive oil
once the beef looks done, transfer it to a big pot and add all the tomato stuff. (yup, more olive oil)
if you have any other veggies you wish to add, do so now. (and olive oil)
stir that for a little bit, then add the italian seasoning, more pepper and chopped basil (unless you are using basil leaves)
add some more olive oil (you can never have too much!) and stir it a little more to get stuff evenly distributed.

step 3: wait
go read a book. maybe something by orson scott card or tracy hickman. i really liked dragon wing by tracy hickman and margaret weis. the black company by glen cook was also a good (albeit very fast) read.
let this concoction simmer (LOW HEAT!) for at least an hour in an open pot. check it every once in a while and stir it around. notice how it looks like the the mud pits at yellowstone national park.
an hour like this is minimum, 6 hours is heaven. the longer you cook it, the better it will taste. (make sure your ability to pour olive oil isnt rusty yet)
if you are using whole basil leaves instead of chopped basil, add the leaves about a half hour before you plan to stop cooking the sauce. basil will turn sour if it is cooked too long, this way you get the flavor wiithout the sourness.

step 4: eat me!
if you need help eating, you shouldnt be using the internet
the best noodles to use are: spaghetti, spagatinni and vermicelli
some form of bread and a tall glass of milk top off a meal fit to feed the hungriest mobsters!

i hope this works out for everyone, i really like cooking spaghetti. maybe one day i will learn about lasagna. mmmm