Well. Hm.

More so even, The spirit of the statement "Kill the Buddha" cuts straight to the heart of Buddhist philosophy. Namely, in that pondering the nature of the infinite leads the ponderer to a point of catharsis where reason and logic no longer apply.

The truth of reality, that all religion strives for, is this:

God is infinite, by definition, and therefore cannot be defined. Reference C.S. Lewis, and I paraphrase; "If my mind could hold the concept of the definition of God, who defines the universe in which we live, God would be definable by a finite mind. This paradox would render the infinite wonder of the universe impossible." Put a face on God, and you have ruined you chances of understanding it. If you picture God as a wizened old bearded man on a shining throne, you have defined it in terms your finite mind can understand, and you are therefore mistaken, and worse, you have crippled your chances of understanding the infinite, which by definition cannot be understood. Hence, if you SEE the Buddha by the side of the road, kill him. Because what you are seeing is a limited definition formed by your finite mind, and by seeing a defined entity, you are missing the point of the very concept of God.

This is supported by the name of the Hebrew God itself, in the Old Testament of the Occidental Bible; when Moses climbs Mt. Sinai to meet Him, and asks God, "Who are you?" God replies: YAH-WEH. Loosely interpreted: "I AM". That is to say, "I am existence. I am Being. I am reality itself."

The very definition of religious experience requires that you ponder this enigma until you are transported into a state of divine rapture by confusion. It's why sex is considered the closest state we can come to being God - there is a moment of total release and loss of self that merges us with the infinite. And it is in this state that life is created.

The French call it a "Little Death" - and death is your ultimate destination. Death is not such a big change. You just sort of slip off the planet, and stop changing.

The goal of every Buddhist, every Christian, indeed, every human,  is to prepare for that change. The Buddhist believes he is preparing himself so that he will barely notice that final change; but rather perceive that everyone else changes, ever so slightly.

And so, the ultimate fear is conquered. Death, where is thy sting? Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani? Tetelestai. äà îùìí. Cthulhu fhtagn! It is accomplished.