I will be the first to admit that I get annoyed sometimes by salesmen and saleswomen. Sometimes I will be trying to enjoy my dinner when the telephone rings and someone is trying to sell me something I don't want. Or I will be walking down the sidewalk deep in thought and I will be interrupted by a salesman or saleswoman. Looking at things negatively is a trap that leads to a downward spiral into depression. Let's try to understand salesmen and saleswomen.

Salesmen and saleswomen are just doing their jobs. A lot of them feel embarassed by their reputations. They are trying to making a living for themselves and their children. Give them a break! Why not be polite and make them feel better about themselves? Nobody wants to feel like an outcast.

And realize this. Salesmen and saleswomen are doing useful, productive jobs! Sometimes it may not seem like that but think of what life would be like without them. How would we learn about new products without being introduced to them? While their intentions may be to profit from providing us with information, they are giving us knowledge at no cost and we should be grateful!

Salesmen and saleswomen want nothing more than the satisfaction of selling a product to a person whose life will be enhanced by it. Instead of looking at them as nuisances, we should look at them as helpful matchmakers between us and the products useful but little known to us.