Ahh, motorsport. The active pastime for those too lazy to walk.
America has the circular motion of NASCAR. In Europe the unlimited budgets of F1 reign supreme. But in Australia the brutish, bellowing V8 madness of the V8 supercars are the obsession of the nation, their drivers battling for supremacy in the never ending war of Ford vs. Holden.

The V8 supercar series is contested by only 2 makes. Ford and GM Holden, the Australian branch of General Motors (Responsible for the new Pontiac GTO, known as the Monaro in it's home country).
Only one model from each manufacturer is eligible to enter - the Holden Commodore and the Ford Falcon. That is to say, the racecars bare a passing resemblance to these bodyshells - underneath the lightweight panelling is something entirely different to any road car produced by either company.

The racecars involved are quite similar to NASCAR racers in specification. Based on a tube frame chassis, the exterior is made to look reasonably like the road going version with lightweight panels and the addition of aerodynamic aids that are governed by strict parity rules.
Rear suspension consists of a live axle Ford 9 inch differential, mounted via a four-link system with coil springs. The Front wheels are controlled by double wishbone suspension. Both ends have cabin adjustable anti-roll bars, allowing the driver to set the car up for each corner whilst the race is in progress.
Brakes are 6-piston callipers front with 360mm discs, with 4 piston rears clamping rotors measuring 330mm in diameter. Covering these are lightweight wheels, measuring 17 inches in diameter and 12 inches wide, shod in Dunlop SP Sport control tyres.

The Ford racers are powered by a 5 Litre V8, with a dry sumped SVO iron block and aluminium Yates heads, as used in NASCAR.
Holdens are powered by a 5000cc Chevrolet Bowtie race block, with 18-degree NASCAR heads.
All engines are limited to 7,500rpm and a 10:1 compression ratio and run 98 RON BP Optimax, with an estimated power of around 630 horsepower and approximately 450lb/ft of torque, although race teams are not willing to publish exact figures.
Rather then the decidedly oldschool carburettor and distributor setup as found in NASCARs, the V8 supercars utilize a MoTeC engine management computer with traction and launch control disabled and strictly outlawed.

Backing these powerplants is an Australian built Hollinger H6S 6-speed dogbox with a standard H-pattern gearshift.

All parts of this specification are strictly enforced by AVESCO, and regular pre and post-race inspections of equipment are the norm to ensure compliance by all teams.