Born January 19, 1983
, (yes, she's that young), Utada "Hikki
" Hikaru has in recent times become a pop diva
, the Britney Spears
, if you will, of Asia
, although the musical comparison is hardly fair.
Utada began writing her own music from age 10, but was first propelled to stardom after signing with EMI when her debut single, "Automatic" was released December 9, 1998. Her debut album, First Love, was released early the next year. She writes almost all of her own songs.
- Automatic / time will tell (single), December 9, 1998
- Movin' on without you (single), February 17, 1999
- First Love (album, 12 tracks), March 10, 1999
- First Love (single), April 28, 1999
- Addicted to Love (single), November 10, 1999
- Trippy music video with a Japanese name I can't type, December, 1999
- Hikari (single), March 20, 2002
- Deep River (album, 12 tracks), June 19, 2002
Interestingly, she records separate music as two different entities--Utada Hikaru in Japan, and Cubic U in the USA.
From her website:
- Born in New York on January 19, 1983
- Height: 158 cm
- Blood Type: A
- Hobbies: Painting, eating, e-mailing
- Specialties: Basketball, cutting corners without being noticed
- Favorite Movies: Titanic (saw twice, cried twice), Godfather Part 2 (likes Robert De Niro), Good Will Hunting
- Favorite Writers: Ryunosuke Akutagawa -- "Rashomon," "Kappa"; Ogai Mori -- "Takasebune";
Soseki Natsume -- "Kokoro"; Ronald Dahl -- "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "The Twits,"
"Tales of the Unexpected"; Shel Silverstein -- "Where the Sidewalk Ends"
- Favorite Artists: Babyface, Black Street, Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind and Fire, Chaka Khan,
Minnie Ripperton, Freddie Mercury (Queen), Joe, Mary J. Blige, Aaliyah, Yutaka Ozaki
- Places I Want to Go: Italy, Mexico
- Things Hooked on Recently: Blackjack, gehsen (game center), black coffee, evian, baoding balls