A kind of fallacy
that is used as ammunition
by people more concerned with an agenda
than the truth
- Extreme radical magazine runs a poory researched, biased story that quotes some nutball who says that kids are 50% more likely to commit suicide when they are denied fresh breast milk until the age of 8.
- Moderate radical magazine runs a deceptively worded story in which they mention how a recent study revealed the 50% figure.
- Some pundit mentions 50% on The McLaughlin Group
- A lazy reporter at Respectable news weekly watches The McLaughlin Group, and works the 50% figure somewhere deep into a story already in progress.
- For ever after, advocates of breast feeding will quote 50% as being from a 'serious' story in Respectable news weekly and not Extreme Radical.
Note that at each stage of increasing respectability
, the prior source
is not mentioned.
Aside from outright lies, this is also how many urban legends are inadvertently spread.