The Russian Kamov KA-50 is one extraordinary combat helicopter. It is a latest generation of single seated attack helicopters. It introduced two features never seen on a helicopter; two counter-rotary main rotors, and an ejection seat for the pilot.

The NATO assigns code names beginning with the letter H for helicopters from the Kamov company. The KA-50 is called Hokum by NATO, but it’s Russian name is Black Shark.

Development started in the mid-seventies, and the first prototype flew in 1982. The competing helicopter company in Russia had the model Mil Mi-28 put up against the KA-50, and the Russian military finally ordered both.

By using two counter-rotary rotors, there’s no need for a tail rotor and the fuselage can be made lighter and more compact. The moments of inertia along the vertical and lateral axes are almost half that of a tail rotor helicopter. It is also more maneuverable and easier to autopilot than standard helicopters, since the absence of the tail rotor makes flat turns possible at top speed. Maximum altitude is 4,000 meters and the vertical climb rate is 10 m/s at an altitude of 2,500 meters.

The other unique feature, the ejection seat, works by first blasting off the rotor blades, then catapulting the pilot straight up.

The KA-50 was built with the same purpose as the American AH-64; tank busting. Thanks to its agility, it is very suited to perform tasks over enemy ground. The fuselage is covered in bulletproof composites – even the rotor blades can withstand a direct hit. The cockpit has 55 mm bulletproof glass. The fuel tanks are heavily armed with self-sealing compartments, and the helicopter can be equipped with counter-measure pods.

This helo has a 30 mm cannon, and usually carry VIKHR laser guided anti-tank missiles. It has two pylons which can carry additional ordnance such as air to air missiles, bombs and other kinds up to two tons.

The Ka-50 is powered by two TV3-117VMA turboshaft engines, each providing 2200 horsepowers. The engines are mounted on either side of the fuselage for maximum combat survival and they can run 30 minutes without oil.

The Kamov company has developed new models based on the original KA-50:

  • Ka-50-2 Erdogan – Co-developed with Israel, this version is two-seated with Israeli avionics and NATO-compatible ordnance. Developed mainly for Turkey.
  • Ka-52 Alligator – This is an also a two-seat version, with the intended use as a group commander helicopter. It has improved communication and target observation equipment, making it the perfect coordinator for a joint strike.
  • Ka-50N – Night warfare equipped version.
Specifications:

Dimensions   
Main rotor diameter: 14.5 metres 
Length with rotating rotors: 15.9 metres 
Overall height: 4.9 metres 
Wing span 7.3 metres 
    
Weights    
Empty weight 7,692 kg 
Normal take off weight 9,800 kg 
Maximum take off weight 10,800 kg 
Weight of consumable combat load 610 kg 
Weight of maximum combat load 1,811 kg 
    
Engines     
Two TV3-117VMA engines 2 x 2,200 h.p. 
    
Landing gear
Retractable tricycle nosewheel type landing gear   
    
Performance   
Maximum level flight speed 310 km/h: 
Diving speed 390 km/h 
Cruise speed 270 km/h 
Hovering ceiling 4,000 metres 
Service ceiling 5,500 metres 
Vertical rate of climb at 2,500 m 10 m/s; 
Range of flight with normal take-off weight 460 km 
Ferry range 1,160 km 


Reference: military.cz