Slang term for the act of shifting an automobile's automatic transmission into one of the drive gears after raising the engine's RPM sufficiently high enough to cause a burnout, or spinning of the tires. Typically done on an automobile that doesn't have enough horsepower to spin the tires by just stepping on the accelerator hard.

A neutral drop is not a friendly thing to do your car. Causing your car to spin its tires from a dead stop is not only bad for the tires, it also can do damage to your drivetrain (transmission, differential, etc.) You shouldn't do it unless you can afford to break something.

To perform a neutral drop, you must have an automatic transmission, keys and permission to do this from the owner.

  1. Car must be at a dead stop and engine running.
  2. With foot on brake, put transmission into neutral (typically represented by an "N").
  3. Increase the RPM of the engine with the gas pedal, usually to a few thousand RPM (closer to the red line is more effective, but also more damaging).
  4. With engine at sufficient RPM, release the brake and shift the transmission into drive gear.
  5. Enjoy.

If your automobile is front wheel drive, then be sure to have a strong grasp of the steering wheel, as it potentially could rotate violently (due to a concept known as torque steer). To avoid personal injury, only hold the steering wheel from the outer ring, i.e. do not put your arms through the holes in the middle of the wheel; the wheel could forcefully rotate and hurt you badly.