Not to be confused with the 80s punk band of the same name, Embrace is a rock/pop outfit inaccurately but frequently described by reviewers as a fusion between Oasis, the Unbelievable Truth and the Verve. While the aforementioned bands may have been influential to some extent, the Embrace ouevre is totally unique with its passionate britrock anthems and powerful ballads, interspersed with some really catchy pop tunes.

Embrace was formed in the early 90s by the McNamara brothers, Richard and Danny. The moment of inception came when Danny stormed into the family's basement in West Yorkshire, UK, where his younger brother was practising with his hardcore thrash band, and decided to hijack the session. The two brothers then decided to begin writing their own songs, with Danny penning the lyrics and Richard writing the music. Soon after, Mike Heaton was recruited on drums, and Embrace began to play regular gigs. It was at one such gig, 1993's Heineken festival, where Danny McNamara had the musical epiphany that forged the foundation for the Embrace of today. While onstage, Danny realised that he and his bandmates had been attempting to court success by emulating other bands, such as U2. The following day, Embrace scrapped every song they'd written up to that point, and began anew.

They spent the two following years writing and rehearsing new songs. During this time, Steven Firth joined the band on bass. In October of 1996, Embrace signed with Virgin Records subsidiary Hut Recordings, releasing their first single, "All You Good Good People" in February 1997. It was followed by two more singles, the soulful, piano-driven "Fireworks" and the racous "One Big Family". The next year saw the re-released "All You Good Good People" enter the charts at #8, their best showing yet. Another single, the successful ballad "Come Back to What you Know", followed before the band released their highly anticipated first album The Good Will Out on June 8.

Their first album entered the charts at the top spot, and was released in the USA the following month. Their second album, Drawn From Memory, was released 2 years later in the spring of 2000, to high accolades. While much of the hype surrounding Embrace has died down, their second and third albums (If You've never Been, 2001) have shown that what began as a minor pop phenomenon may now be of the greatest bands to emerge from the post-britpop music scene.


sources:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=12:11:10|PM&sql=B7hddyl2oxpbb
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/singerUnid/3DDA699A65674B7A482569670005F348