Well, 4 days into my Independence Day resolution to stop drinking (July 4, 2001) and surprisingly, I am still going strong. I won't say that I don't feel like a drink, but at least I don't have to tie myself to the fridge to stop from running to the liquor store. I'm drinking gallons of water, trying to flush my system clean. All in all, I don't feel too bad.

The weekend has been relaxing, if nothing else. About the most exciting thing was a walk around the neighborhood with my girlfriend and doing some shopping. Apart from that, I finished reading "The Phoenix Guards" by Steven Brust and watched some TV, and played the Discworld MUD for several hours. Escapism rocks.

I bought 5 or 6 kinds of good cheeses and have been nibbling on them continuously. Havarti cheese is delicious.

I am trying to decide whether I should take a mild sleeping aid tonight. I suffer from bouts of insomnia, and for some reason it's always worst on Sunday nights - plus, I am not drinking a nightcap... There's nothing worse than a Monday after a sleepless night, so I may just make it a bit easier on myself and have some NyQuil.

Happy thought of the day: "Evolution isn't over." (from "Naked", directed by the brilliant Mike Leigh)