"Fevre Dream" (1982, Poseidon Press) is a novel by fantasy and science fiction author George R. R. Martin. The author is best known for his current epic fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire", which started with the best-selling novel "A Game of Thrones".

"Fevre Dream" is an earlier novel, originally published in 1982. The story is an odd combination of historical fiction and horror. The setting is the southern United States in the middle of the 19th century. The main character, Abner Marsh, is a steamboat captain working the Mississippi trade. He is contacted by mysterious stranger Joshua York to build and captain a steamboat, which is to be named the "Fevre Dream" after the river Fevre (now renamed the Galena). Eventually the true nature of Joshua York is revealed and the story takes a darker twist.

Once again, "Fevre Dream" is a much earlier novel in George R. R. Martin's career, and it shows. The style is not nearly as polished as his later works, and the narrative sometimes seems to be almost improvised in structure. I finished the novel but would not give it more than a 6 out of 10. Recommended only for fans of the author. If you're new to Martin, start with "A Game of Thrones" or "Windhaven" instead.