Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by Burt Shevelove and Larry Gelbart Based on the plays Miles Gloriosus, Pseudolus, and Mostellaria by Plautus (251-183 B.C.)

Wily slave and consummate clown Pseudolus tries to win his freedom from his kindly master Hero through the most unlikely of schemes. Broad comedy, burlesque humor and clever Vaudeville inspired numbers.

Major Productions

Musical Numbers

Dramatis Personae

Domina
Senex’s shrill, overbearing wife, who rules the house.
Erronius
A myopic old man searching for his lost children.
Geminae (2)
Twin courtesans of the House of Lycus.
Gymnasia
The sizable courtesan of the House of Lycus, whom Pseudolus fancies.
Hero
A handsome and innocent adolescent, son of Senex and Philia, who is very naive and in love with Philia.
Hysterium
Pseudolus' hapless and incredibly hyperactive fellow slave.
Lycus
An outrageous buyer and seller of courtesans.
Miles Gloriosus
Lycus' warrior client, engaged to Philia, who is tremendously conceited and represents the stereotypical Greek hero.
Panacea
The most sensuous courtesan in the House of Lycus.
Philia
The lovely but empty-headed courtesan who is in love with Hero and betrothed to Miles Gloriosus.
Proteans (3)
These three actors play a twenty-part ensemble.
Pseudolus
The scheming slave of Senex and Domina, Pseudolus is the comic ringmaster of the show. He wants desperately to be free and tries to manipulate various situations to achieve these ends.
Senex
Hero's father, Domina's husband, and an aging master, he is described by his wife as a dirty old man. He has a penchant for young maids and is less than faithful to his spouse.
Tintinabula
The noisy, exotic courtesan in the House of Lycus.
Vibrata
The wild courtesan in the House of Lycus.