This is in reply to Jet-Poop's criticism of Ultimate X-men above. Do I believe that this will be one of Marvel's great mistakes? No. They've done far worse things, and this isn't even close. In fact, this is a good idea!

So, they made a movie... FINALLY! It's been so many years since comic books have been anywhere near vogue, that the movie hardly created a swarm to Marvel's titles. You need more than one simple film to get new comic readers, or else all those Batman films would've created such a gathering of comic readers that we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Replicate the mood of the movie? Um.. sort of.. if you mean quite a few degrees darker, since we have the man who continued The Authority after Warren Ellis left. This isn't trying to be anywhere as kid friendly as the movie was. In fact, just a few weeks ago, Marvel announced that it would no longer be following the Comics Code Authority(smart move!), after all, no one else is. They are also getting some of the highest rated comic writers to write for them: Garth Ennis, Brian Michael Bendis, Grant Morrison, and others. What is Marvel trying to do these days.. invite new readers. They started off with Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men. Yes, X-Men did have thirty years of continuity... what a pain in the ass!

Not only did the writers have to check up on the status of old characters, how their moods were, what devices were in whose control, but so did the readers! And that's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than buying a couple issues of a brand new comic, slightly based off of past exploits.

By recreating the X-Men, they invite new readers. After all, how many people want to start a series of books in the middle?